Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Big Sur Half Marathon - 11/18/12


The Big Sur half marathon was one of our favorite races last year, so it was a given we'd run it again. We made a weekend of it this time. The race was on Sunday and we came up Friday night. This allowed us time to try a couple of restaurants, drive along the coast, and go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (something I hadn't done for years). It was a rainy weekend and there was a good chance it would be raining during the race. However, just like last year, the weather cleared up just in time for the race and the sun was shining.


Neither of us had any time goals for this race. I was swamped with school work and hadn't been putting in the training needed to set a PR. Annelyse had just set a huge PR so there was no pressure to do so for this race. It was just going to be a beautiful run along the coast for both of us. I even decided to bring my phone so that I could stop and take pictures along the course. 


It was the same course as last year. Running through Cannery Row was one of my favorite parts again. Just the day before we were there going to the Aquarium. It was packed with cars and pedestrians. Running down it during the race was a completely different experience. The street was closed off so there were no cars. Aside from a few spectators, it was just us runners. It was quiet and peaceful. 


The scenery while running along the coast was once again amazing. I'm always so thankful of where I live and the incredible places I get to run. It helped to make the race less painful than it could have been. With school taking up so much of my time, my training isn't what it used to be. I didn't have the base I usually do so the last few miles were tough. It didn't help that my bursitis in my hip was acting up. I actually almost stopped before hitting mile 1. It would have been my first DNF (did not finish). I suspect I'll have one eventually, but it wasn't this race. I pushed on. The hip loosened up considerably, but was definitely aching towards the end. 



I finished the race with a respectable time for one I didn't train for. Annelyse came in shortly after I did and we walked the mile home. On the walk home we talked about how lucky we are that each of us loves to travel to run races. It's such a fun excuse to get away for the weekend. I'm sure we'll be back next year. 

Race stats:
Overall female:  406 of 4398
Age Group:  79 of 724
Chip Time:  1:54:14
GPS Time:  1:53:42

1 comment:

  1. Jen,

    I noticed these updates a few days ago, but didn't have time to comment then. Then it was a few days before I remembered them again. It's always fun to read your recaps of the races, and the photos add a special touch as well. The Big Sur photos are wonderful, and bring back some special memories of our visits to that area. Not sure about the Giants color-coordinated outfits though. Oh well, a little comic relief never hurts! (Just kidding, of course.) I wish I could still run, as it would be such a treat to do a race with the two of you. It would probably be suicidal, though, as I'd never be able to keep up.

    Hope the new job is going well.

    Glyn

    ReplyDelete